Friday, January 27, 2012

Research Day at UWI

Today was a good day. We woke to the beautiful Jamaican sun and immediately started our day.  We started off with breakfast and chores. For breakfast was had a banana and chocolate muffin, from the bakery section of MegaMart, and a fresh papaya.  The muffin was delicious but we didn’t really like the papaya.  You live you learn, right?
Yummy chocolate and banana muffin and not so yummy papaya
After breakfast and chores the kids and I walked to campus t participate in Research Day. Research Day is where the university puts itself on display and all of the departments bring out posters and demonstrations showing what research they are currently participating in.  It is a wonderful concept and the kids and I really enjoyed ourselves.  See pics below:

View from the door of the Geography/ Geology Department
View of a really cool exhibit demonstrating density with sugar water and food coloring (an experiment the kids and I can try at home)
My babies waiting their turn to see the exhibit in front of them (that's a bubble gum bubble in Joshua's mouth, in case you were wondering)
View of campus and mountains with the kids in it
Kids watching an open heart surgery simulation (it was really cool, the monitors were beeping and the heart was really pumping)
Another view of the kids watching the heart
The kids learning about the Lionfish, some star fish and sea urchins
Once we returned home we had lunch and enjoyed a little down time.

My lunch... these chips are really good.  Not the banana chips we eat in the States.  These could easily be confused for a bag of Lays minus all the grease.
 
Another food adventure for us today was trying the star fruit from our tree in the yard.  This fruit is ready to eat straight from the tree.  Once they are yellow they are ripe and ready to eat. The are crunch and very juicy.  They remind me a lot of a granny smith apple just not as bitter.

star fruit
After lunch we decided to go for a walk to try to find the pool and the preschool... yes, I learned today that there is a preschool on campus and I wanted to check it out for Nay. It was a good walk (not as far as the mile we walk to get on campus but still a good walk).  The view of the mountains on our walk was AMAZING and of course I grabbed my camera but forgot to put my memory card back in it so I can't show you any pictures.

The preschool looks great and the staff were really nice.  We are strongly considering enrolling Nay.  He is going to have to get ready anyway as I already have him enrolled in a preschool once we return to the States.

The pool looked great as well and the children drooled over it... unfortunately they can't gain access until I get my UWI ID.  The good news is that I received an email today saying my paperwork cleared and I can go on Monday to get my ID. Yay! Then I will feel official.

On the walk home we found a little corner store and got the kids (and daddy) some ice cream cake.  We were all thinking that it would be like an ice cream sandwhich but it was not.  It was a long piece of cake rolled up with ice cream in the middle.  The kids (and daddy) devoured it. 

For dinner we had Pizza Hut delivered.  I know I know... that is cheating since I said I was going to cook more, but our walk took longer then expected and cooking just didn't happen.

Like I said before and it remains true, I love Jamaica more and more with each passing day. 

I look forward to telling you about our weekend as Kenric has some great adventures planned for us.  Until then... Peace!


Pic of the kids going to unlock the front gate as we wait for the pizza guy
Nay racing his brother back to the house

No comments:

Post a Comment