Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Carnival, Class, Dinner, and other Random Things

The last couple of days have been good.  On Saturday we walked up to campus to see the Carnival parade.  It was great but I probably should have left my kids at home and I definitely should have left my mom at home :-).  The dancing was a bit... how do I say it... adult!  We stayed for the experience though.  Here are some *mild* pictures:



Yesterday the other archaeology lecturer and I took the class out to the Papine Cemetery site.  It was great to be able to actually SHOW students things instead of just talking about them. They asked great questions and gave good feedback so I think they enjoyed not being in the classroom as well.

This was my view walking home from class yesterday.  I guess Jamaica has a "fall" after all :-)

Stunning tree with falling yellow flowers

It's hard to believe that there are only 8 lectures left in the semester.  Now that we are at the end it feels like it went fairly quick.  I still have to finish my research and write a paper that I will present at the symposium in just a few short weeks.

Today I examined the human skeletal remains recovered from the back dirt pile from the Papine Cemetery.  Since the remains are very fragmentary and out of context, not a lot of useful information could be gathered.

At home the kids are doing great!  Kids are so resilient and adjust so easy.  I know they are eager to get home but they do not show it at all.  They work on their school work, play with their electronics, and play outside.  Their has been very little sibling bickering (thank goodness). One thing the kids have really enjoyed is trying all of the new fruits we have discovered here in Jamaica.

Tamarind (and the seed of another) my Rasta Man Friend brought to us to try. Yummy!
 
Custard Apple... doesn't look to good but it actually tastes pretty good.
Nay devouring the custard apple

Star Apple.  The texture is interesting.  It feels like a jello'd plum in your mouth.  It has a unique taste that I can not really explain.

 Tonight we were desperate for some food other than pizza and fried/ jerk chicken.  I found a place online called The Wok so I called to place an order for some yummy Chinese food.  The conversation was difficult and basically I understood yes to delivery and chicken so I said 'yes, please bring chicken'.  Half an hour later we were excited to see the delivery guy arrive with our Chinese food.  We took all of the food out and spooned it into bowls only to discover that the food was from an Indian restaurant.  No wonder that conversation was so strained I was trying to order Chinese from and Indian restaurant from a woman with a Jamaican and Indian accent. I felt slightly silly but we dug in and the food was amazing.  The order came with roti so we were able to eat traditionally as well.  The kids really enjoyed eating with their fingers (and so did I).

Our delicious Indian dinner


No comments:

Post a Comment