Sunday, March 4, 2012

The National Library of Jamaica and a Mountain Trip


29 Feb 12
Hooray!  My hubby is coming today!  I can not wait to see him!!!  So far today has been good.  I was able to get up this morning and get some grading done for my Anth 220 class that ended on Monday. Mr Dennis came to pick me up around 1030a and we headed to the National Library of Jamaica.  On the way to the library Mr Dennis told me how he was still thinking about our visit to the Chinese cemetery yesterday.  He then proceeded to tell me of some the supersitions many Jamaicans believe regarding visits to the cemetery and some of his own personal stories of spirits that he has encountered. It was very eye opening to hear some of the beliefs held by many Jamaicans regarding death and burial, and it also explained a lot regarding the reactions of people toward me once they find out why I am here.

Once at the library it was a smooth transition into research.  I located several sources that I found useful, made copies, viewed maps, etc.  I was fortunate that an archaeologist that I had previously met happen to be at the library.  She and her colleague were a HUGE help in helping me located resources, offering suggestions of books I should read, and asking tough questions that now has me considering revising my research question.  What was supposed to be a one hour trip to the library turned into a 4 hour stay.  By the time I got home I was to tired to go through any of the information I gathered.  It will have to wait until Monday since Kenric will be here in just a few hours!

My hubby, mama, kids and I are heading camping in the Blue Mountains tomorrw.  I’m not sure what to expect up there but I am so excited. Can’t wait to post pics from our trip.

2 March 12
I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing the Blue Mountains of Jamaica are.  I have never experienced such a peaceful and serene place.  The views were spectacular (and my photos will not do them justice at all).  After a trecherous and terrifying ride up the mountain, Kenric the kids and I (my mom decided to stay at the house) arrived around 2pm on Thursday.  We were met at the visitor’s center/ ranger’s station by the park ranger.  We got all checked in and headed to our cabin.  I was expecting  a camping like experience so I was prepared to “rough it” but to my surprise our cabin was very comfortable.

After we settled into our cabin we headed outside to enjoy the last few hours of daylight.  We walked down to a play area for the kids and walked the perimeters of our cabin.  As the sun started going down we headed inside and heated up dinner (jerk chicken and chips).  After dinner Kenric and I was actually able to sit and talk to each other (with no interruptions… the first time we’ve had each others undivided attention in a long time lol) while the kids played.  Before bed the kids put on a concert for us which we enjoyed and then we sat around laughing as we made up jokes with each other.  It was so wonderful to sit with my family with no interruptions of daily life like the internet, tv, work, school or friends. That moment alone will make Jamaica a place near and dear to my heart. We headed to bed early with the idea of waking up early to go hiking.
It was a rough night for sleep as it was FREEZING in our cabin.  I never imagined that I could ever be that cold in a tropical place like Jamaica.  We truly got a piece of winter that night.

In the morning we were up early, though not as early as we had planned.  We dressed and headed out to go hiking.  We decided on the waterfall trail but shortly into it I realized it was NOT made for kids and toddles as you had to maneuver up steep cliffs the lead off the mountain with no railing or protection.  The kids and I turned back and Kenric continnued on.  The kids and I decided on the more family friendly trail that led to a gorgeous view of Portland and St Andrew.  I was so proud of the kids and they hiked the entire mile and a half (even Nay made it all way up but needed to be carried some of the way down). Just as I started getting worried about Kenric he came strolling up over the hill.  He told me that he was glad we turned back as there was some parts of the trail that were even more treacherous then the part we were on.  Whew!  Good call. After the hike we headed back to the cabin and was greeted by Adrian the coffee man.  He is the nephew of Dennis James (http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/2009/03/coffee-tom-clynes-text#content). I was able to get 3 bags of coffee, grown in the Blue Mountains, for an extremely reasonable price. I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am as I was told that coffee from the Blue Mountain costs around US$42 a pound (I was able to get three pounds for less than that).  Adrian the coffee man has promised to bring me several more bags down the mountain before I leave… I’m thinking I should not leave this island with less than 10 bags.

Ranger Station at Hollywell National Park

Our Cabin

Our cabin again
An amazing view of the sun going down in the Blue Mountains

Night time view of the city below the mountains

View from the beginning of the waterfall trail


Waterfall at the end of the waterfall trail



Military base on the next mountain peak over

Nay pointing out something interesting to his brother

The kids heading up the trail 

James Dennis Coffee (Greg I'm bringing you back a bag J
View from the front yard of the cabin (St  Andrew parish down below)

Another view of the mountains and valley below

 4 March 12
Not much to say today…

I learned this morning that my hubby leaving for the second time apparently isn’t any easier.  The kids and I took it hard when Mr Dennis showed up to take Kenric to the airport this morning. 

Our only comfort is in knowing that we will see him in just a few short weeks. He’s gonna come back at the end of March and again in the middle of April and then again at the end of April when he comes to take us home. Due to circumstances out of everyones control, instead of leaving in June, we are now leaving at the end of April. 55 days left  in beautiful Jamaica.

No comments:

Post a Comment