Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Life Outside of Fulbright

The family and I have been in Greenville for the past couple of days. Kenric came down for work and I came for research (comparative analysis of enslaved African and African American cemeteries).  Today I drove up to Spartanburg (only about 30 miles away) and met with Zac of Walnut Grove Plantation.  We went on a tour of the grounds and then he took me to the cemetery.  It was a beautiful site and dates to around 1765.  It is believed (or at least it is advertised) that both European Americans and the enslaved Africans are buried in this cemetery.  On first glance I have a difficult time believing that both groups share this space, but who knows.  Further surveying and exploration of historical records is needed.  After touring the cemetery on site we drove about ½ mile outside of the plantation to another small cemetery enclosed by a fence.  Oral tradition says that this is where the enslaved Africans are buried… and that I believe.  This small site was amazing and exhibited several characteristics that may suggest burial by and of enslaved Africans. 

I am excited to work with the Walnut Grove Plantation on this project. Being out there today brought me back to the present.  I have been focusing so much on Fulbright and moving to Jamaica that for the last month I have neglected things going on currently.  My walk around the cemetery reminded me that I have a life to continue (and a dissertation to write) when I return from Jamaica. Today inspired me to stop reading all of the Fulbright and “moving to Jamaica” blogs and pick up one of the textbooks I will be reading this fall (yep, my first semester in the PhD program). We'll see how long this eagerness to read ahead lasts *smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment