Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bitter Sweet

Well today was a bitter sweet day.  I taught my last lecture at the University of the West Indies, Mona. It is always hard for me to say goodbye at the end of the term because i form such a bond with my students, but this time it was exceptionally hard knowing that I will be returning to the states soon.  

I am so truly thankful for this opportunity to be a Fulbright Scholar and for this experience to teach in another country. For those of you considering applying to Fulbright, I highly courage you to do so.

Learning the ins and outs of the university system, the students and faculty and the culture as a whole was a bit of a challenge in the beginning but once all of that was figured out classes went smoothly. I learned just so much from my students here and I hope that they learned something from me in addition to methods and theory in archaeology.

I will truly miss Kingston Jamaica.  I can tell already that I am going to have to adjust being back home as I will long for the comforts, the sounds, the sights, the smells (of the food anyway) of this place.  UWI in particular and Jamaica overall has captured a piece of me... a piece that I plan to leave here to ensure that I return someday. This place has changed me in ways that  I couldn't have imagined before I came.  A new or should I say renewed Christina will be returning to South Carlina in a few short weeks.

Until I return Jamaica, stay blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment