Saturday, April 28, 2012

Not Goodbye but Until Next Time

I'm sitting on my wonderful porch staring at my favorite mango tree watching my mom walk around the yard one last time. This is my last blog post from Jamaica (until next time) and it is extremely hard to write. I hate saying Goodbye so I will not... I will say Until Next Time Jamaica. Unfortunately I have already packed my computer so I cannot include photos in this post, but I will be sure to update it with many photos later. The last couple of days have been a blur. Kenric and his mom arrived on Thursday and it has been nonstop ever sense. On Friday the department hosted a farewell party for us and it was wonderful. They had a full lunch of chicken in pineapple sauce, fish, rice and peas, cabbage salad and fruit. The department chair thanked me for my work this term and invited me to return which I was most a appreciative of and will certainly take her up on. After the luncheon we headed to the Market and craft market for souvenirs, art, and spices to take home. As usual that was an experience but I am so glad my mom-in-law got to experience it. Today we made our last journey to the mall so that I could have the cable disconnected and just made a day of it. We shopped and ate lunch there before heading to the Devon House for ice cream one last time. This morning didn't start off so great as Kenric, Joshua, and I witnessed a dog get hit by a van. That was the most horrifying thing I have ever seen and I feel like I've seen a lot. Joshua, of course took it so hard and we have been consoling him most of the day. It has been hard day of goodbyes...oops I mean until next time.... and I have choked back a lot of tears. I'm sure the water works will come tomorrow. So, as I am typing this last blog post of my Fulbright experience, we are finishing out our stay in Jamaica with a bonfire built by our good friend Adrian. He is roasting us a breadfruit, the one fruit we had not tried here in Jamaica. So I will leave this post and go enjoy my last night in Jamaica with my family and friends. Not goodbye Jamaica but until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment