Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cemetery Research

28 Feb 12
Ok! I had my pity party yesterday and today I am hitting the ground running.  After a frank talk with my hubby who snapped me back into reality I am motivated and eager to get going. 

I was able to visit 3 cemetery sites today.  My wonderful driver Mr Dennis picked me up after class at 10a.  We spent the next several hours looking around the Old Cholera cemetery, May Pen cemetery (which we were ran out of), and the Chinese cemetery.  All of these were uniquely wonderful.  I was able to get a good idea of what I can expect when it comes to exploring cemeteries in Jamaica. 

Chinese Cemetery Entrance

Chinese Cemetery

Chinese Cemetery

Old Cholera Cemetery (bodies dumped in mass grave and a mound of dirt piled on top)

May Pen Cemetery (right before we were chased out)

It sounds weird but after being in the cemetery trying to “read” these sites today I am renewed and reinvigorated.

29 Feb 12
Hooray!  My hubby is coming today!  I can not wait to see him!!!  So far today has been good.  I was able to get up this morning and get some grading done for my Anth 220 class that ended on Monday. Mr Dennis came to pick me up around 1030a and we headed to the National Library of Jamaica.  On the way to the library Mr Dennis told me how he was still thinking about our visit to the Chinese cemetery yesterday.  He then proceeded to tell me of some the supersitions many Jamaicans believe regarding visits to the cemetery and some of his own personal stories of spirits that he has encountered. It was very eye opening to hear some of the beliefs held by many Jamaicans regarding death and burial, and it also explained a lot regarding the reactions of people toward me once they find out why I am here.

Once at the library it was a smooth transition into research.  I located several sources that I found useful, made copies, viewed maps, etc.  I was fortunate that an archaeologist that I had previously met happen to be at the library.  She and her colleague were a HUGE help in helping me located resources, offering suggestions of books I should read, and asking tough questions that now has me considering revising my research question.  What was supposed to be a one hour trip to the library turned into a 4 hour stay.  By the time I got home I was to tired to go through any of the information I gathered.  It will have to wait until Monday since Kenric will be here in just a few hours!

My hubby, mama, kids and I are heading camping in the Blue Mountains tomorrw.  I’m not sure what to expect up there but I am so excited. Can’t wait to post pics from our trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment