Sunday, February 19, 2012

If life gives you a lemon... make lemonade!!!

19 Feb 2012
Do you know what I absolutely LOVE about Jamaica?  The abundance of fruit trees.  I know I keep harping on that but I truly love love love being able to eat fresh fruit daily from our yard.  Our new thing is making lemonade from the “lemon tree”.  The fruit looks just like an orange but when you cut it open there a many more seeds then what you find in a “typical” orange.  When you bite into the fruit it is instant jaw locking sourness. So naturally we decided to squeeze the juice and mix it with water and sugar.  I swear, Chick Fil a can learn something from these “lemons” here as this is the best lemonade we have had. I’ve decided to stop wasting money on fruit juice at the store (which is anything amazing thing as the juice is made from fruit puree and that’s it… it’s not loaded with water and sugar, just fruit and preservatives (for freshness)) and just start picking these “lemons” regularly and making lemonade.  The kids love it, it is refreshing and I know exactly what is in it.

"Lemons" freshly picked from the tree
The kids making lemonade
 In addition to picking “lemons” and making lemonade we also enjoyed playing with playdough.  On Friday the kids and I walked to campus to check out Caribbean Day.  The university had several booths set up each representing a different country in the Caribbean.  It was nice as we walked around learning about the different countries (or at least the ones that were there).  After that we headed to the campus bookstore where the kids enjoyed the children section and read some new books.  On the way out I spotted the playdough behind the counter and inquired about the price.  To my surprise it only cost JA$155 (about US$175) for the three cups.  That was the best money spent as it kept the kids entertained for hours.  Thank you play dough, thank you!

Playing with play dough

My play dough creation... you can tell what was on my mind lol

More play dough playing

No comments:

Post a Comment