Friday, February 24, 2012

My Mom is Here!

23 February 2012
Wow! So much has happened since my last post.  I won’t begin to try to recap everything but I can tell you the best thing that happened.  My mom arrived!  She arrived on Tuesday (21 Feb) afternoon after an early morning flight from Charlotte.  As soon as she got off the plane she was up to her shenanigans but I was relieved to see her in good spirits. She made herself at home and we are all settling in.  It is going to take some adjustment living with my mom again after so many years but I’m so glad that she is here.
Granny's here!!!

At the neighborhood park with granny

Look who was watching us from up in the tree while we played
We had our first power outage last night.  I don’t know why I scared me so much… I guess waking up in total darkness (no lights outside as far as the eyes could see was a little unnerving).  I was not able to go back to sleep for the next hour and a half until the power returned. I guess I felt the need to stay up and keep watch over my family or in case the kids woke up scared (which they didn’t… they didn’t even budge).

I went to the salon today!  It was the first time I have gotten my hair groomed in years (I like what my hair naturaly does J so I never bothered to spend the time or money at the salon).  Wow!  It hurt… I have apparantly developed a tender head.  She used a method called sister locks, where she took a “needle” and retightened my hair.  It is supposed to last for several months even with washing it regularly.  I actually like it (outside of my head being so tender) and will probably get it done one more time before we leave here.

View of my head after it was "sister locked"
After my three hour hair appointment the kids, mama and I walked across campus for some lunch.  They ate at KFC and I was lucky enough to get a homecooked meal.  I forgot I had donated some money to a student for a fundraiser for her dorm.  As we happened to be walking past the dorm she called me and reminded me that I had lunch waiting.  I enjoyed some fish and sauce, festival and bami.  I’m still not sure what festival and bami are besides some type of bread.  One was hard and crunchy and the other was soft and doughy.

My lunch of fish (with the head still on) bami and festial
After spending hours in the Jamaican sun we spent the rest of the day at home in front of the fan.  We walked to the corner store for ice cream where my mom made some new friends.  She was invited to go dancing and I’m trying to convince her to go J.


24 Feb 2012
Today is a do nothing kind of day.  The kids are up and playing with granny.  I’m sitting at the computer getting some work done (and blogging of course).  We are planning to venture out to the moviees today.  The theatre is located at the Sovereign Center (a shopping plaza with an amazing food court) so it should be a fun outting).  I’ll post more later…

No comments:

Post a Comment